Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Opa! Indeed!

I love Greek food, and when I saw this simple recipe for Chicken Gyros, I knew I had to try it. I love regular lamb gyros, but I'm short on lamb and a spit for the yard, so I figured a chicken breast substitution would be a little easier to prepare.



Chicken Gyros

1 lbs chicken breast
4 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp. plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper
sliced tomatoes
sliced red onions
4 (pocketless) pitas
feta cheese


Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub the marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
Preheat the grill pan. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and then grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, depending what size/type chicken you are using. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
Meanwhile, warm your pitas. Top the pita with the chicken, tzatziki (see recipe below), tomatoes, onions, and feta.


Tzatziki Sauce

16 oz. Fage Yogurt (or other plain yogurt)
1 regular cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt & pepper
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil


Combine and allow to refridgerate for at least 30 min. before serving.


Source: Adapted from Ellysaysopa.com

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm - I love gyros too, especially chicken ones! This looks fantastic!