Monday, July 7, 2008

Cleaning out the Fridge Fried Rice

We've had a busy weekend with no time for grocery shopping! Ok, well we probably had a lot of time for grocery shopping, but chose to be lazy. We kicked off our fun 4th of July weekend by attending a Tom Petty concert with my parents on Thursday night. I even caught Mom & Dad singing along and dancing a few times! For the 4th, we went to a cookout at our friends, the Stones. As always it was a great time with lots of great food. We had planned on heading downtown to see the fireworks, but after driving down and seeing that parking could be an issue, and both of us being downright tired, we headed home. Much to our surprise, our backyard neighbors had closed off their block and were putting on a professional show of their own. I'm sure it was highly illegal, and I cringed every time I watched ashes fall towards my roof, but the fireworks were amazing. On Saturday, Ali and I rode our bikes into Broadripple Village for lunch at La Piedad. It is so great to live in the heart of a city near so many cute shops and restaurants. If you've never been to Broad Ripple, come check it out! Saturday evening, Scott and I headed back up to Verizon Wireless Music Center to see John Mayer. (my 5th time!-yes I'm a huge fan) Sunday morning we headed out for some of the city's best biscuits and gravy at Taste Cafe & Marketplace, also in our neighborhood. We wrapped up the weekend by setting off fireworks with Scott's cousin Bill's family.
So back to my non-grocery shopping laziness...tonight I cleaned out the freezer, pantry, and fridge to create some fried rice. It was great, and you can mix it up with any ingredient you have on hand.



Clean out the Fridge Fried Rice

1 chicken breast, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 egg
1 cup frozen corn
1 medium white onion chopped
1 roasted red pepper chopped
4 cups white rice (cooked)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste

Scramble the egg in a large skillet, then set aside. Season and saute the chicken, and set aside. Add about a tablespoon of oil to the skillet and saute rice and veggies until veggies are tender. Add desired amount of soy sauce while cooking. Add all ingredients back into the skillet and toss.

No comments: